Voice search was launched by Google in the year 2011 and was introduced as a method to attract users. The speech recognition technology was at a nascent stage at that moment but as the technology is improving, voice search today has become an essential part of search optimization and marketing technique. Just like every other new technology, voice-based searches are all set to becoming the next big thing in the market. Brands and marketers should understand that it is going to be a necessity soon and they need to gear themselves up to capitalize on the same. With Google and other companies investing in this technology to make voice recognition perfect and accurate, it is important to start working on relevant marketing strategies right now.
Trends of voice search that marketers cannot afford to ignore and should keep in mind while designing and implementing their search marketing strategies: –
- Today almost 41% people use the voice search facility once a day for conducting online searches.
- As per statistics available, almost 60% of searches on Google is carried out via mobile phones. And as per statistics available from Google, about 1 in every 5 searches is a voice search that makes it about 12% searches that is almost equivalent to 420 million searches in a year. Plus, another .75% searches are being done worldwide using smart speakers – thereby almost 12.75% voice searches are done via Voice-based queries.
- By 2020, it is being predicted that almost 30% of online sessions will include voice search.
- In 2017, about 58% of consumers were using the voice search facility to look up for a local business in the vicinity.
- The most common things that are voice searched using the smart speakers include Music at 70%, weather news at 64%, funny questions at 53% and online searches at 47%.
- The US will have about 21.4 million smart speakers by the next year.
- This year the voice recognition industry will be valued at almost $601 million.
- Most people keep the smart speakers in their living rooms – about 52%; while 25% keep it in their bed rooms and another 22% put it up in their kitchen.
- As per data available from Google, it is believed that almost 72% people who have a smart speaker at home say that the device is a part of their daily routine.
- When it comes to local searches, the voice-based searches are slated to be almost thrice that of text-based searches.
Also, Read – Latest SEO Trends 2020
Tips to follow to make your voice search strategy work optimally
- Use of natural language
- Direct questions and specific answers
- Keep updating business related information on your site
- Be present on Google My Business Listing always
- Optimization of content
- Keep following the latest SEO practices
- Keep the page loading time to a minimum
- Use longtail keywords
- Website content should be such that the masses understand the same with no difficulty.
- E-commerce stores need to venture out and partner with the big e-commerce giants like Amazon.
Use structured data markup like Schema markup and rich snippets.